Styling your sectional? Here's a Guide to ease the pain!
We’ve been thinking about the "dos and don’ts" of styling a sofa as our assortment is filled with quality accent to bring your sofa to life.
A sofa is quite different than a sectional but is a great option because sectionals offer a little more seating and add an element of comfort to a room. Styling all those corners can sometimes be difficult –– but no worries The Crafted Chen has you covered.
So to help you out, we’ve created a few ways to style your sectional that will leave it looking chic while still allowing it to be functional.
Step 1: PREP
It is very important to measure your space before ordering a sectional to be sure you are getting the right fit for the overall space. Make sure to know the exact measurements for all of the walls. Sectionals are typically great in a corner of the room, up against two walls, or if you space is a open floor plan it can float in the middle with the proper space planning.
Create a basic floor plan with a sectional. This will help you with measurements and visualization, as well as create an organized way to style the rest of your room around the sectional.
If the sectional is going in a family room or a place where a TV will be the focal point in the room consider where the TV will be when you are choosing the size and type of sectional you want.
Step 2: CHOOSING AND PLACING YOUR PILLOWS
There are a variety of ways to style your pillows on a sectional but not all ways keep it looking clean, chic, and inviting. We recommend using 6-7 pillows to create a full look without going overboard. Here are our top two favorite ways to style:
- Choose two sets of three pillows that are the same size and pattern (We recommend three 20x20's and three 24x24's). Place one on both ends and one in the middle.
- Choose one 14×20 that complements the other two patterns and place it in the middle cluster of pillows.
- Keep it symmetrical on the ends and go for something a little different in the middle.
- Choose three 24×24 pillows in the same pattern. Find two 20×20 pillows that coordinate. Place one on both ends and one in the middle.
- Choose one 16×26 that complements the other two patterns and places to the left of the middle on the sectional.
- Once again, keep it symmetrical on the ends and go for something a little different in the middle.
We’ve compiled a few examples of different pillow styles and patterns that work well together. Have a look and pick a favorite!
Step 3: EXTRA ROOM STYLING
- Add a colorful throw. Place it on the chaise section of the sofa.
- Add a great rug. Choose a rug that fits under the front legs of the sofa and extends at least 3 feet beyond the coffee table (if using a coffee table).
- Make sure the coffee table is proportionate to the sectional. A large sectional should have a large coffee table.
Different kinds of sectionals to consider
- Double chaise
- U-shaped-Three sided
Stationary vs. Modular
Stationary Sectional: the most common kind of sectional. Designed for one shape that locks in place.
Modular Sectional: typically comes in 3-5 pieces that can be arranged in a variety of different ways. Make sure your pieces are secured together before using them.
As this post provides a ton of detail we hope it really helps with bringing your space to life. If you need additional assistance send us an email at Getintouch@thecraftedchen.com –– We are here to make your home shine with a crafted touch!